I did selfhost VPN and many other things, but last year I decided to reduce amount of things, because It took too much time to keep it updated and secure. I also got annoyed after I switched from OpenVPN to WireGuard and forgot that my shitty router does not support WireGuard. I didn't want to deploy both of them and I had a needed in more locations.
Deploying different VPS for different location which I need maybe once a month, didn't sound logical, so I decided to switch to commercial VPN providers, but I was skeptic and don't trust them that much. No matter how good reputation they got. So, I came up with simple idea and rules for myself. I think it's worth sharing with this community.
- VPN company should have registered company and it should not be in USA, Asia or offshore zones. I really dislike offshore zones and they are not good for your privacy. Companies register in offshore zones to avoid paying taxes. That's it.
- They should have manual generator for OpenVPN and WireGuard. So, I can use ovpn on router and WireGuard on other devices. I don't care or need their apps.
- They should allow/support custom DNS.
- They don't have BS marketing on their website like "We gonna protect your banking account, passwords, etc...". And especially military grade encryption is red flag.
- Zero tracking on their website. If they have Google Analytics or even self hosted analytics. Fuck that. 💢
Now you have good list with different VPN companies and next step is actually switching them. Do not use the same provider all the time. I prefer to use them 6 months. This plan is usually cheaper than 1 month and I don't need to update my configuration files for router and other devices that often.
After my subscription expires I switch to another provider and use it for another 6 months. In case this VPN provider get compromised, keeps logs or bad news arise I won't worry that much. This VPN provider won't have full profile on me. Perfect solution is to switch every month, but that takes a lot of time.
Privacytools has great list with VPN providers, but quite limited, thus it won't work with this strategy. I would recommend next commercial VPN providers. Admin/Moderators can feel free to remove this paragraph, if it break rules or they don't want this. I am listing only providers I used by myself. No affiliate links.
- Azire Swedish based VPN provider. WG and OVPN support.
- Xeovo Finnish based VPN provider. WG, OVPN and Shadowsocks support.
- BunkerVPN Switzerland based VPN provider. WG and OVPN support.
- cryptostorm Iceland based VPN provider. WG and OVPN support.
- any other VPN provider from privacytools recommendation or which meets the criteria
P.S Can we have "Guide/Tutorial" tag maybe? I would like to write more guides about self hosting not that well know things. For example Pwnagotchi.